Index of Topics Photo Collections Index Sandusky County Scrapbook Home Page Sandusky County Scrapbook Site Map Credits page Our Sponsors
Hughes Granite & Marble Company Title
Company HistoryMessage from the CompanyMcKinley MonumentAndersonville Monument72nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry MonumentGibson MonumentHughes Granite & Marble Company Photo GalleryHughes Granit & Marble Company Suggested ReadingsEmail Us
 


 

To National Park Service Website
National Park Service
Ohio Andersonville Monument

The Ohio Andersonville Monument Commission was authorized by House Bill No. 586 on April 16, 1900, to erect a monument to the memory of Ohio soldiers who died in Camp Sumpter, the Confederate military prison also known as Andersonville. With an appropriation of $5,000, the Commission selected the design offered by the Hughes Granite and Marble Company, and the finished monument was unveiled December 18, 1901. The monument is located on the prison grounds, on the north slope near the west side of the prison. The location is very close to the prison's original north wall before it was moved further north to provide 10 more acres of space. The four sides of the base bear the following images and inscriptions:

South: United States Coat of Arms
North: Ohio Coat of Arms
West: To her 1055 soldiers who died here in Camp Sumpter from March 1864 to April 1865 this monument is dedicated.
East: Death before Dishonor

to top of page




©2001 Sandusky County Scrapbook (Ohio). All rights reserved.
Site Designed by: JMG Digital Development Services.
Updated 30-Apr-2004


Hughes Granite Main Page